Historic Bridges PDF Print E-mail

Carroll County has preserved a number of its historic bridges—many in their original locations and some in relocation projects.   The Carroll County Historic Bridge Coalition has been instrumental in persuading county officials to rehabilitate and preserve notable bridges whenever possible instead of replacing them with modern structures.  Since most of Carroll County is rural farm community and some of the roads are not heavily traveled, preservation of many bridges has been possible.


Stone Arches 

 



The Washington Street stone arch built in 1901 over the Wabash & Erie Canal in Delphi is an impressive arch which is still in use.  The arch is located betweeen Canal Park and the Annex, and the canal boat, The Delphi, travels under the arch during its trips between the Canal Interpretive Center and its home in the new replica Speece Warehouse storage facility.


A stone arch bridge also spans the Canal on Bicycle Bridge Road in west Delphi.  It was built in 1901 by local mason John C. O’Connor.  This arch is near the Blue Bridge which is behind Pizza Hut and serves as a pedestrian bridge over the Canal side-cut in the Delphi Historic Trails system.

Other very significant stone arch bridges in Carroll County include another built by O'Connor over Rock Creek in northern Carroll County.  The most noteworthy arch in the County is the Burnett's Creek Arch, also northeast of Delphi, which was built in the late 1830s as an aqueduct to carry the Wabash and Erie Canal over Burnett's Creek.




Iron Bridges 


in the Deer Creek Valley Historic District east of Delphi was just rehabilitated to make beautiful and functional improvements to our county roads.  Wilson’s Bridge was named after an adjoining property owner who petitioned for its construction in 1897. The Lafayette Bridge Company fabricated the Pratt through-truss structure for $2,499.  The bridge retains its original truss members and decoratively latticed guardrails.  It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Wilson's Bridge was rehabilitated, re-painted, and re-opened in 2008.



Concrete Bridges 


The North Street Viaduct over U. S. Highway 421 in south Delphi is the only example of a rigid frame designed by the Indiana State Highway Commission.  It was built in 1936 at a cost of $38,000, replacing a 1908 structure.  The contractor was Harold Tharp.





Railroad Bridges 


Monon High Bridge  is an abandoned steel trestle over Deer Creek on the Monon Railroad near Delphi.  High Bridge rests on stone at one end and on large concrete pillars. It is in the scenic Deer Creek Valley at the end of the High Bridge Trail.  It was constructed in 1881 and rebuilt in 1891.  It is the second-highest bridge (at 63 feet) in Indiana, and the second-longest nearly 854 feet) on the old Monon line.



A steel stringer bridge over SR 25 in eastern Delphi is on the abandoned Monon Railroad right-of-way.  It serves as a pedestrian and horse and buggy overpass of SR 25 on Delphi Historic Trails on the route from Delphi City Park past the Milroy Monument to High Bridge.







Pedestrian Bridges 


Two bridges have been relocated to sites in Delphi on the Delphi Historic Trails.  The Red Bridge was relocated from Paint Creek near Camden and placed over the Wabash & Erie Canal on a trail in Canal Park in Delphi.   It was constructed in 1874, one year after the county commissioners decided to build iron rather than wooden bridges.  Fabricated by the Massillon Bridge Company of Ohio, it is one of the oldest iron bridges in Indiana and a rare surviving example of a metal “bowstring” arch incorporating Howe-truss features.

The Blue Bridge (or Gilmore Bridge), a Stearns truss, was relocated to the Trails from Pulaski County where it had spanned the Big Monon Ditch.  It is now over the Canal side-cut behind Pizza Hut in Delphi.  The Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal Association was responsible for the relocation and restoration of the bridge to an area of great importance to the Canal and related businesses.  The Canal Association received a preservation award for this bridge from Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana in 2008.



The Riley Park suspension bridge in Delphi’s Riley Park along the Deer Creek was built most recently in 2004.  It was built previously in 1911, 1988, and 1998, and was victim to flooding until its most recent build above the potential flood levels.  It provides scenic access to the park from downtown, and was built originally to provide access for students from school to the athletic fields.


While not historic, another pedestrian suspension bridge is located a Trailhead Park in Delphi.  It was built to provide access from the parking area and park to the trails system along the Canal and Wabash River.