|Delphi Fire Department|
Delphi Tri-Township Fire Territory originated as the Delphi Fire Department in 1869 as a bucket brigade to protect the small but growing community. In those days every property owner was required to have on hand a ladder and five buckets to carry water. In 1871 the department bought its first hand water pump, and by 1930 Delphi’s fire service merged with the townships of Deer Creek, Tippecanoe and Madison. Today’s totally volunteer force numbers 35 (including Cadets) and is under the direction of Fire Chief Darrell Sterrett who took the position in 2011. Housed on the north side of the Delphi City Building since the mid-1960s, the department has come a long way since that first brigade of bucket wielders. New recruits go through approximately 60 hours of initial training before ever setting foot on a fire truck. Regular periodic sessions add 1,000 hours or more per year of training for the dedicated crew in fighting internal structure fires, wildland fires, high rise rescue, swift water rescue, hazardous material cleanup, and automobile extrication. Delphi Tri-Township Fire Department responds to more than 250 calls each year and protects an area of 96 square miles as well as providing mutual aid to departments in surrounding areas of Cass County, Tippecanoe County, White County and Clinton County.