The Office of the MayorMessage from the Mayor...
This area of the website is currently being edited. Please return to this webpage at a later date for new and updated information.
Duties of the Mayor...
The mayor is responsible for the overall operation of city government with these primary responsibilities:
- Enforcing city ordinances and state statues
- Providing city information as requested by the common council
- Providing financial statements and the general condition of the city (State of the City) to the common council a minimum of once per year
- Recommending, in writing, actions that they mayor considers proper to the common council
- Calling special common council meetings when necessary
- Supervising subordinate officers, department heads
- Ensuring efficient government of the city
- Filling vacancies in city offices when required
- Signing deeds, bonds, contracts, licenses issued by the city
- Approving or vetoing ordinances, orders or resolutions of the legislative body (common council), veto’s are subject to common council override
- Appoint department heads, department employees, board and commission members
- Suspend or remove officers or employees appointed by the mayor
- Fix salaries of appointed officials and employees (except police and firefighters and appointees of the clerk or clerk-treasurer) subject to reduction by the common council
- Conduct monthly meetings of department heads, adopt rules and regulations for individual department, and arrange for unannounced audits of the accounts of departments
- Prepare the city budget for council review
- In third class cities serve as presiding officer of the common council and vote only in order to break a tie
- Solemnize marriages